About the Education category

How to address the problems of education.

This can include practical solutions to the problems of colleges and universities today, including both reform opportunities and new/disruptive alternatives.

I expanded the category from “Higher Education” to “Education” to include primary/secondary options, including homeschooling/micro-schooling/etc. These will be different in ways from higher education, but given that a good secondary education can easily exceed what many learn in college today, there is also significant overlap.

1 Like

College in America is a uniquely corrupt industry that exploits the mediocre middle… people who aren’t smart or responsible enough for small percentage of college degrees/programs that are financially justifiable.

Many of the most talented can or do skip it entirely but most people need the degree to validate them to future employers and even potential romantic relationships.

But colleges do not provide notable value given the government subsidy of student loans. Most college degrees end up as an albatross. The top tier don’t need college or they get maximum value from it. The degree largely serves the upper-middle… people who are smart or hardworking but not exceptional. We can call this the “consulting class.”

It’s the middle… that’s who colleges really target. It’s a demo of people who are sufficiently irresponsible or dimwitted that they’ll take on maximal debt for minimal gain. They’ll spend more years to get their worthless degree and thus more debt. They think it will validate them… but it doesn’t and colleges know it.

What American universities do today is mine the mediocre middle for money.

Those people aren’t necessarily mediocre everywhere… just as students. That doesn’t mean they don’t have value but college ensures that most of them won’t find their place to maximize their contributions and benefit from that. Instead, they’ll be stuck with their useless degree that they have to justify and their loans they have to pay off. Thus, they can’t start a family or a business of their own or find their talents… they’re too busy doing grunt work at some corporations.

If you want to reform higher education, making this transparent to people would be a good start. Then perhaps policy can shift to change the perverse incentives in the student loan industry and then maybe colleges can return to doing what they’re best at to the benefit of all.

Suffice to say, today’s “higher education” system is a cruel and exploitative racket. We can’t reform or improve it until we make that clear.

A college education is only necessary if the prospective student does not possess the skills necessary to enter the field of his or her choice. Our system is set up to lure young adults with false hopes of reaching something they will never obtain. It no longer considers the aptitude of applicants; but, only their desires. We need to flip the mind set of the corporate, retail and service world, to actively seek employees for their future needs.
 Business should recruit within the primary school system. They need to find those with desires to enter their field and pay their full ride to higher education. In return, the student would be under contract to the business for a 5-year period. This works for all fields: building trades, technology, farming, health care, legal, etc. 
 We can eliminate student debt, get government out of colleges and give employers the match they seek to fill their openings. It would be a win for all and should be attempted.

Welcome!

Also, you’re correct. Getting businesses to hire this way is tricky though, particularly because the regulatory cost of hiring an employee is so high that businesses are disinclined to take risks or invest in training someone (who they fear will then just up and leave).

It’s not clear to me how much of the regulatory situation can be improved given how much is Federally mandated. Thus, we can perhaps address the issue at the supply-side by encouraging students to pass on college… the debt-load is making that easier, which is resulting in only the most mediocre and even dim-witted people sticking it out in fields like sociology.

I think the place to start is in schooling itself. Particularly, we should go after the education field. We need to counter the notion that a degree improves the person or their aptitude.

Let’s start by defining educational goals. Different goals need different education.

Training in skills is what most are after and are finding college increasingly giving way to technical schools, training programs, certifications, etc. This is why people find college increasingly obsolete.

Freedom used to be the pursuit of a liberal education, where “freedom” is not freedom from constraints to pursue individualistic hedonism. Instead it seeks freedom from our self-enslavement to chaotic passions, achieved in the cultivation of virtue through the cultivation of the mind. If this is our goal, higher education is not even pursuing it. Classical homeschooling and private schools are attempting it, but are also often halfway “classical” in name only.

I propose we reform classical education in homeschooling, private schools, and colleges. It’s a growing movement, but taking after Adler is still mostly modernist. “Classical” doesn’t refer to post-Enlightenment “classical liberalism,” which still has the goal of individualism and “rights.”

Just as an example, in my experience with classical education, logic curriculum is mostly modern formal logic with little or no emphasis on Aristotelian logic. Modern critical thinking sociology is often used instead of the Organon. In rhetoric, Dale Carnegie may be used instead of Aristotle’s Rhetoric. Let’s recover scholasticism, not Enlightenment modernism.

2 Likes

Hi–new to the New, but not new to independence from the education establishment. If I can offer a thought, and invite any feedback, the idea of certification or credentialing for liberal arts/“humanistic”-oriented education is obsolete. Would you trust someone with a humanities degree from Harvard over a degree from the University of Houston? If anything, the UH student might appear more trustworthy. So what benefit is there, if any, to reforming existing institutions as they are?

I myself think rather that the 4-year program, beneficial though it is for the degree of immersion it may offer (at institutions such as TAC, Christendom College, Benedictine, University of Dallas), is not the place to focus. It’s an uphill battle, with the ground crumbling beneath your feet the whole way. Instead, the pivot should be to continuing-educational institutions, to which one belongs as a lifelong member, rather than as a transitory student. I have had some success with this so far (Lyceum Institute), a program grounded in the classical trivium and scholasticism.

Americans have been deceived into believing they need a college education to succeed when in reality the college “education,” is no more than indoctrination only to get a low paying, mediocre job afterward while saddled with exorbitant student debt. In the meantime, we have a shortage of people in the trades which should be recognized as viable employment. I can’t believe any reasonable or responsible parent today would knowingly send their child to a higher educational institution, knowing they are simply teaching their child to be Woke. Everyone fell for the lies. We need to take responsibility now and no longer support those once-respectable institutions. Send them a message.

The Lyceum Institute is good. So is the Albertus Magnus Institute. Similar idea, thoroughly classical.

I would suggest another university: hillsdale colledge in MI

Just wanted to note here, the last Align newsletter #56, April 14th did a great job showcasing good education related tools and businesses.