Support Local Homeschool Co-Ops

If you don’t have children, find a local co-op and support them financially. Many of the moms are struggling and don’t have money for curriculum and supplies. Donate to them. People donate to public school classrooms all the time, and sports fundraisers and candy bars, parent forum monthly donations. Time to flip this and donate to homeschool families instead.

18 Likes

Amen. Apparently the posts have to be 20 characters, so Amen again.

2 Likes

Actually, I would like to create a Homeschool Community Foundation that could provide grants to homeschooling nonprofits and eventually scholarships, to flip the paradigm even further! In California, we are working on a School Choice initiative that would allow parents to use their state allotment (about $14,000 per student per year) for school alternatives including homeschooling. Pray for our success!

13 Likes

That is fantastic! Praying for your homeschool foundation, nonprofits and scholarships.
Unfortunately in NC, parents do not get any allotment per student per year. I am working while homeschooling, which makes time a stretch. However many parents I know are really struggling to pay for any homeschool materials at all. Any suggestions for us with no funding? I see some families just using notebook paper to teach, cannot afford to purchase any workbooks or materials.

2 Likes

Is there a way co-ops might be listed? I would be happy to donate if I can find them. I also have experience in IT if that might help some parents.

4 Likes

I really like this advice and would love to help my local co-op. Any idea where I could find out more information. I’m searching the internet and it isn’t that helpful. Not sure if there are regional websites and such.

2 Likes

Sharon, great idea! I home-schooled mine in NC and you are correct, it wasn’t always easy. Curious where in NC you are? I was in the capital area but now on the cost. I have often wanted to offer services especially to kids with Dyslexia as I actually schooled a child who was not mine one year - watched him soar with a different approach from traditional schools.

3 Likes

What an awesome Idea! I have no idea where I would start, but would love to help here on the East Coast, if I can.

2 Likes

Most states have a homeschool Association. Sometimes they are broken out by secular and Christian. Some regions will also have homeschool groups That will have websites or Facebook groups. Classical conversations is a popular organization that many homeschoolers use and has an interactive website. Another coop finder:

https://charlottemasonincommunity.com/

If you search for “living books library” you can also find private libraries across the country that are geared especially for children and homeschoolers.

Don’t forget your own church!

3 Likes

Which idea are you interested in, homeschool foundation or school choice initiative?

1 Like

Thank you for the ideas. I will check it out.

1 Like

I would be interested in helping with the foundation. Has there been any work started?

1 Like

The work has been started, but we need a credible nonprofit org that will engender confidence in the donors, and we need fundraising help. I’d be happy to talk to you by phone and give more details.

2 Likes
5 Likes

This is so exciting to see this thread!! GO homeschoolers!!! I work in public education as a library aide and can’t wait to get out. But I homeschooled my children during their formative years in the 1990’s. My niece is currently the director of a homeschool co-op in Kansas.
So I’m wondering why New Founding couldn’t start a homeschool initiative for resources much like they have for businesses like they have with Align? I just joined today so ecstatic to find them. So if I’m understanding their business model correctly this could an amazing support for parents.

3 Likes

Ah yes. Lots of people are leaving the workforce and could use some help with teaching. I think there are a few groups on Locals.com that focus on homeschooling groups.

So far, New Founding looks more like an bulletin board. But given the traffic, I could see them expanding their mission. That said, I say link up with Conservative education groups (PragerU, Hillsdale U.). If these education groups can feed off of each other, we now have a parallel education system. :wink:

It can be difficult to find local coops online, they are generally grass roots and small organizations without the funding for or the need for a website. Many groups are faith based so it can be easy to find them through church communities. If you are a Catholic a really good bet is to go to the most traditional parish in town and ask some of the moms after mass. I’m not Protestant but I assume it’s similar. Another good way to find people is to ask on forums or in homeschooling Facebook groups. If you are looking for groups in the Midwest I have a lot of connections and I might be able to help if you direct message me.

3 Likes

I cannot agree more. I’ve spent a lot of time fighting the public school indoctrination and the system is extremely corrupt from the state level. If you can at all pull your children, pull them.

2 Likes

Are you all following the homeschool co-op in Indiana, the Heritage Meeting House. I have not seen it as I am Florida, but it appears to be a solution that could work in hundreds of cities across the world. It combines a library (with pre 1970 books) as well as coffee house, meeting rooms and gathering spaces for students.

This could also be a perfect reuse for many of the underutilized church buildings across the USA. These buildings are empty most of the week, and have congregations that are struggling, but they have ample classrooms and parish halls. I could see many congregations encouraging this as an alternate use, especially inf the congregation is small. Even if the congregation is on the progressive side, they value community, families, the arts, local commerce and neighborhood groups.

I believe the Lilly Foundation helped with the one in Indiana. Katie, lower in this thread, mentions “living libraries.”

In our city we have an excellent classical school so I have not been involved with this but it seems like it is an idea that is sustainable, and could find funds to survive. And if it utilized an old church, especially one with good acoustics, you could have a cultural component as part of it.

Love to hear if any of you have visited the one in Mishawaka, Indiana.

3 Likes

Ooh! That is lovely.