Vulture investing

Asheville, NC is now a top ten city for violent crime, having lost more than a third of their police force since “defunding” the department. Like many college and tourist towns, being about 90,000, it is politically far-left.

If history is any indicator, the rich leftist will flee to the next idyllic or picturesque small or midsized town. This is already happening, particularly with jobs that can be done remotely (college educated primarily). Thus, small-towns are becoming a sign of “privilege.” Rest assured, as this ramps up, more small cities will be lost to leftism.

However, the town they abandon can potentially (if they’re bad enough) be lucrative for vulture investing. By this, I mean…

Buy up large tracts of real estate for pennies on the dollar and then move large contingents of right wingers into those regions… probably by offering really good deals (such as rent to own after ten years so that they don’t just flip it), including helping young people who want to start families and so on. If the town is small enough, a thousand voting age people might be enough to swing a city-council overhaul, which would afford us a few years of political control to shore up our position by bringing in more right wing people and businesses.

This type of thing would require a fund, no question, but seems worth pursuing.

3 Likes

@Kennaquhair

This is a really interesting idea and I think it’s worth wargaming out with specific examples. Maybe we could identify a couple profile towns or cities (such as Asheville, as you suggest) and do more of a deep dive into what resources it would actually take to achieve this.

You hinted at the major difficulty that I foresee when you mentioned the possibility of wresting political control via city council elections; namely, that if people are fleeing these areas, they are probably completely subject to the control of failed far leftist institutions. If our goal is to build communities in these areas based on virtue and a more human way of life, gaining control over the institutions that govern daily life will be an absolute prerequisite. For example, if crime is a major issue, we would need to gain virtually immediate control of the local policing and court institutions to ensure the safety of our communities. Otherwise, we might be subjecting our friends to dangers of unmitigated crime and/or public institutions that will seek to do them harm.

2 Likes

I think the initial criteria is to look for small and mid-sized cities that are geographically, culturally, or artistically appealing. Find towns that people want to live in. Then I would filter them by their cost, current political climate, and available properties.

If a town is very appealing and is politically split, perhaps a few hundred votes might make a significant difference. The ideal goal would be to drop in a handful of people while mobilizing politically and then try and hammer out some sharp policy changes. The most critical change is to make the city unappealing to the parasitical leftist by eliminating the bureaucracies and government jobs that leftist thrive in. That should drive out a handful of leftists…

Where to start though? My general sentiment is to try and build relationships with right-leaning realtors. They’ll generally know the area quite well. Ideally though, this is just an idea that becomes understood in right-leaning circles as something to keep in mind.

1 Like

This is very similar to the demographic shifting strategy of the left. Large multi-family complexes are being built in strong red areas and a portion of those converted to low-income housing.

2 Likes

Welcome Mojo!

And yes, you are precisely right. The left is extremely adept at using boring policy to drive demographic shift that favor them.

No sense is letting them do it unopposed.

3 Likes

Absolutely love this idea.

There are tons of smaller real estate developers all over the southeast who are based. We need to find a way to connect to them to each other, to funding sources and to their market.

New Founding raises a fund from investors and then finds based land development guys in different areas across the SE and deploys capital.

Just as a slightly different thought, there are scores of small towns across Appalachia that are ripe for gentrification, between new remote workers moving in and retirees increasingly choosing the rural SE. While a place like Asheville may make a great target, I think one could also target any number of sleepy small towns that never have popped.

1 Like

I’m strongly in favor of connecting real estate developers but also real estate agents.

One thing I don’t think we should underestimate is how valuable the on the ground knowledge of locals is, particularly real estate agents. Consider:

1. Based real-estate agents can notify us when deals are available, i.e., desirable assets under-valued from any number of factors. They can give us advance warning.

2. They can identify the trends in a community and help our audience relocate to towns suitable them and/or help us relocate people to towns that are desirable but at risk of going lefty.

Under ideal circumstances, we can leverage local politics, real estate developers, and agents to make policy changes suited to our urban planning philosophy and then bring in value-aligned people, thus capturing a strong cultural hold of regions that we want.

1 Like

I’ve seen this idea on Twitter a few times recently. The idea of a “based community” revitalizing a small town is really appealing. One interesting trend that helps this idea is remote workers looking to escape bigger cities. Individuals working at large companies that are left-leaning may be looking for a like-minded network. Long term and with enough capital you could certainly develop desirable communities where the policies are sane and the architecture is actually beautiful.

3 Likes

Jack, you’re spot on. I grew up in a small town of 2,000 people outside Nashville. As recently as three years ago, it was a methed-out husk of a town. Now there is a farm to table restaurant, a speak easy, and commercial real estate has tripled or quadrupled in value over that same time span. What used to be lots with run down trailers now have million dollar housing starts. And there have been scores of tech workers, generally red-pilled, moving in working remotely but with budgets that the area has never seen.

All of this I think means that there is going to be an opportunity to “gentrify” small towns and rural unincorporated areas. I think the trend is just starting but presents an incredible business opportunity and more importantly a chance to shape the development of healthy communities. Of course, what I am saying is just anecdote but I bet everyone else here has a similar anecdote, and if you haven’t seen it, the WSJ took notice of the trend last month (How Remote Work Is Reshaping America’s Urban Geography - WSJ).

2 Likes

This video from Kirsten Dirksen captures well what’s possible in a small, mostly abandoned small town. Forsaken Main Street as affordable new Frontier: Water Valley - YouTube. A project to invite the aligned to adopt such towns might have a lot of promise. Anyways, it would be a good forum topic for the first NF conference in 2022. :wink:

2 Likes

Wow - Hadn’t seen that before, that’s incredibly inspiring.

2 Likes

Another story here about Mt. Vernon, Ohio. CEO a quiet philanthropist for Mount Vernon - News - ThisWeek Community News - Lewis Center, OH. Of course, it helps to have a major philanthropist decide she’s going to, for love of her hometown, finance a comeback.

2 Likes